Friday, April 16, 2010

Completed Project #1 Ferret Race Track

It has been awhile since my last post. I never gave up on this blog I just reorganized how the blog will be maintained. I decided to use 1 post for 1 project and to only post after the project was completed. When Possible I will have before pictures and I will always have final result pictures and a summary.

I just finished building a ferret race track. The picture below is the full track.



The picture below is how the track will look with the couch in front of it.



This is a video of my ferret using the track.



As you can see from the picture below, the track is connected to the cage allowing the ferrets a horizontal running surface that the cage originally did not have.



Materials Used/Cost:
5 gutter extenders / $5 each
6 UTZ Party Mix Containers/ $7 each (technically free if you enjoy the snack mix)
1 PVC Pipe T/ $6
White Duct tape
Hot Glue
Wall Fasteners

Total Cost: $73

Building Instructions:
First I cut the bottoms off of the UTZ containers and I cut the ends off of all of the gutter tubes except the one connected to the cage.

I used hot glue to join all of the pieces together then reinforced the glue with white duct tape. You should be able to tell from my pictures where everything is connected.

Once everything was connected, I attached the track to the wall and cage, drilled some air holes, and removed two bars from the ferret cage to allow access to the track.

Total Build Time: 2hrs



From the picture below, you can see that the ferrets now have their own corner of the house.


This is a picture of one of those plastic shelving units I bought and decided to use to store the ferret's food and litter. I know I didn't build it but I did find a nice way to store the food and litter.



Overall I am 85% happy with this project. I have no idea what my next project will be but I will let you know when I finish it.

4 comments:

  1. kind of a slow race... I think your fat ferret needs to lose weight...good job on completing your first project. Dont sweat having to change your plans around. It is easy to dream big about making a new house your home, but sometimes the reality makes the dreams a little tougher. Hang in there and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I think it's a great first project. And I love that you found a way to use the Utz party mix containers. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be a huge pain to clean. It doesn't cine apart, it is huge and they are going to poop and pee in it. I bet you won't use it more then a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive never seen a ferret poop or pee where they play..The two i have stop what they are doing to find a corner to back into..Usually where theres newspaper or pads on the ground . If none , they use the cats litter box..Nice work on tunnel

    ReplyDelete